September 24, 2017, 07:08:19 pm

Author Topic: A Thought On Mana  (Read 595 times)

Furie

• View Profile
A Thought On Mana
« on: December 16, 2016, 06:03:44 pm »
I'm just going to start this by saying that I hate mana/magicka potions. The idea of a spell caster who has to quaff potions in order to keep their power up just seems wrong to me. At best it leads to a game where the player loads up on potions, making it more about what you can carry than how you use the magic at your disposal. That's why I would prefer a system that adds more tactical thinking to spell casting.

I propose that we add a moving mana regeneration point to the current system. When a spell is cast, the amount of mana is removed from the character but then the mana regeneration back up to that point. However, should another spell be cast before the mana has regenerated all the way, the mana regen point drops down to where the current mana level is.

Say a character has 100 mana, and they have a 10 mana spell that can be cast from within its sigil. In a basic potion system, that would give the character 10 castings before they have to throw down a potion, after which they can cast again. It will always be that way.

However, in the system I propose, the mage now has a choice after casting a spell. If they're careful and wait for their mana to regen, they can go on forever without potions (but run the risk or their sigils running out). If they immediately cast again then their mana regen point goes down from 100 to 90, then 80 and so on until they finally run out completely and need to recover. Most would find a balance somewhere in the middle.

Recovery might be via potion (as well as rest/meditation, etc) but the careful mage wouldn't be downing forty odd potions in a single battle. They'd be jostling for position and making the constant choice between conserving their strength or going all out.

TL;DR
Casting a spell drops mana by the spell cost but it then recovers up to the Mana Regen point. Casting another spell before mana has regenerated fully drops the Mana Regen point down to the current mana level, then takes the mana used for that spell.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:13:34 am by Furie »

Gheeyom

• CEO/Founder/Game Designer
  • Global Moderator
  • CEO/Founder of Nine Dots Studio
    • View Profile
Re: A Thought On Mana
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 04:30:14 pm »
I think that what you propose is a very good system for mana, but it conflicts with another concept we wanted to explore for Outward.

We want to make mana's maximum increase per use through a day, and lower when sleeping, doing the opposite of stamina and health, which lowers with use until you rest. As such, mages are insomniac junkies, and the "potion quaffing" is something we are pushing for into our lore. They don't only drink potions though. They eat food with mana infused ingredients (like turmip, a.k.a magical turnip :P ), they smoke plants that also give them mana regen, they need coffee and stimulants to stay awake, etc.

Do keep on sharing your thoughts! Even if we don't end up using the ideas proposed as is, it's always good to keep juggling with concepts, and if it doesn't affect the game we're working on, it doesn't mean it won't be used elsewhere :)
We seriously need more alexandrite in our games.

Furie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 05:56:34 pm »
That's an interesting concept. I love the idea of red eyed mages just staggering into town, downing coffee and then heading off to battle, knowing that the moment they rest their heads they're going to lose that sort of stoned, tired imagination they need to work their will on the world.

Have you considered pushing magic as something truly addictive where, the more spells and mage-stereotype abilities a character has, the more they need to use them? If mana increases with each spell use, as the mage gets more and more attuned to the forces of the world, then perhaps not using it would have a negative effect.

You say that foodstuffs and tobaccos would be used as role playing ways to refill mana, so those might help keep the edge off a little bit while casting spells might keep it off a lot. But the more spells and abilities the character has, the more they'd need to use them or infuse their bodies with mana somehow. Otherwise they might suffer diminished capabilities or even have some sort of backlash the next time they try to bend reality to their will.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:01:38 pm by Furie »

Gheeyom

• CEO/Founder/Game Designer
  • Global Moderator
  • CEO/Founder of Nine Dots Studio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:35:25 am »
The system we have in mind already does this, to an extent. As you keep going without resting, your maximum stamina and life will reduce as you get damaged or spend your energies. Eventually, you will have much more mana available than HP/Stamina, so you would likely be doing this more, and will need to watch out as having a limited supply of stamina means you can't dodge, block or run as effectively. And a lowered maximum health is self explanatory in a dangerous world like ours ;)
We seriously need more alexandrite in our games.