September 24, 2017, 07:07:16 pm

Author Topic: Screenshots from the Hallowed Marsh  (Read 1457 times)

Gheeyom

• CEO/Founder/Game Designer
  • Global Moderator
  • CEO/Founder of Nine Dots Studio
    • View Profile
Screenshots from the Hallowed Marsh
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:15:57 pm »
In the past weeks we've been working on bringing a new region to life, the Hallowed Marsh, along with the city of Monsoon. Instead of going the classical route of a dark and gloomy marsh, we went with something more colorful and exotic.

As always, let us know what you think :)
We seriously need more alexandrite in our games.

Captain Frosty

• View Profile
Re: Screenshots from the Hallowed Marsh
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:41:43 pm »
Omg that town looks great, if I saw that place ingame I would immediately go exploring around and meeting people.

The marsh seems like it would be a cool place to settle. Are there any plans for building permanent homes or perhaps even settlements where you may become an innkeeper or even mayor? Are there plans for more normal jobs like being a merchant/shopkeeper rather than a hero? I'd love to go looting a dungeon and then come back to my own shop with my own rates and sell my new items to NPCs so I can buy better equipment for my next excursion, rather than visiting just another old marketplace (although if you look at my suggestions thread I made a while back I have some suggestions for more interesting market and village encounters). And if there are plans to have jobs, perhaps some could be implemented as quests that could be completed at any time for a little extra gold.

Back to the settling thing, will there be townbuilding? Seeing a town like that makes me want to develop my own village in this world. Will there be support for custom maps?

One last thing, will missions be found randomly around town? Or will there be areas with larger amounts of quests to be found, like an agora style market or a tavern?

Thanks!

Gheeyom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 08:55:29 am »
You will be able to own a different house for each of the four factions, and the Monsoon, the marsh town, is one of the four towns in which you can indeed own a house. In this case it's the house associated with the Holy Mission of Elatt. The degree at which these houses are customizable is still a matter of debate internally, for both budget and design reasons.

Town building is on our wishlist, but I'm not ready yet to commit to the promise that it will be a thing in the game. We're already pretty tight on our schedule with all the features already planned and we'll get to a point where we have to choose between polishing what we have or adding more.

As for jobs that are not being an adventurer, this is outside of our scope as we are first and foremost branding our game as "The Adventurer Life Sim", so features that go against this mindset could be perceived as taking away from the adventuring elements. I get what you mean though on how it would be fun. Recettear is a really fun game about exactly what you describe, setting up your item shop in a small town and needing to have the right stock on sale to attract the type of consumers you want, etc. Maybe as an expansion we'll add the more "mundane" types of job to expand the scope of the game? I would like to explore that if the demand is there, that's for sure :)

As for missions, the most important ones will be mostly given by members of your faction, but there will be also be missions that you can get from people around town or through dynamic events while exploring outside. As for whether or not we'll aggregate the quests in a single area, I think that if they were to be all found in the same place it would not reward exploration enough and it would go against the spirit of making a believable world, so I favor the idea of spreading them around. These won't be "random" though, they will be hand placed by our designers (that would be Sven and me).

MadMarkizen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 04:07:02 pm »
This candle adorned armor set is now on the very top of my "To Get" list in Outward. One has to be completely insane or ballsy to wear a shiny bullseye around neck like this.
In addition, it's classy codpiece is just the right size. ;D
And speaking of that screenshot, are those some stray GoD ships fooling around moon/planet/deathstar in the sky?

Gheeyom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:39:24 am »
Officially, the GoD Factory universe and the Outward universe are separate, but we'll be sliding some references here and there nonetheless ;-)