September 24, 2017, 07:07:10 pm

Author Topic: Happy anniversary to GoD Factory: Wingmen!  (Read 1801 times)

Gheeyom

• CEO/Founder/Game Designer
  • Global Moderator
  • CEO/Founder of Nine Dots Studio
    • View Profile
Happy anniversary to GoD Factory: Wingmen!
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:46:37 am »
Happy anniverday to GoD Factory!

On August 29th 2014, we released GoD Factory: Wingmen on Steam. Yup, it's been one year already.

I think now is the right time to explain a few things that have been happening between then and now. One thing we haven't been very loud about is the fact that we're no longer affiliated with Bandai Namco. Officially, we haven't been partners since March.

Securing our distribution rights back allows us to make a few changes.

For instance, we no longer advertise Oculus Rift support on the Steam store page. Actually, we always wanted to wait until the consumer version was out. While we would have liked to support all Oculus dev kits, they kept changing the software so much that our work always ended up obsolete. We might even end up unable to support the Oculus Rift altogether, since the consumer version might only be compatible with the most high end graphic cards on the market, making it impossible to recoup on development costs due to the limited market.

Another thing we plan to do in the near future is to change the price of the game. Currently, a few countries are paying more than others due to regional pricing. I find this practice objectionable and still need to figure out how to have the same value everywhere, but before I make a move I need to validate how taxes work in all territories.

We wish we could have added more to the game over time, but ultimately the content we need most is more players. So our next update will expand our reach to Mac and Linux, along with a few fixes, new communication macros and better UI.

We're very close to being done with the update. However, due to the nature of our funding we are limited in how many hours we can spend on it. We've been mostly working on Outward since January, but every now and then we work on new GoD Factory builds in off hours, until it's ready for release. You can follow the developments during our wednesday streams, which we've used as a way to gather feedback and bug reports from our most involved players.

Afterwards, our next big update will probably be porting the game to console. While we probably won't be handling the port to console ourselves, we're currently in talks with a few different companies to hand them that task. The technology we use should, in theory, allow us to have people playing on console also joining people online on PC, which means everyone get more players to play with. I look forward to that!

If it does well, we'll have the resources we needed to do more content for the game! We want to add vanity items, new parts, even a new species if we can, but it all depends on the reception of the game on the port.

Also, don't worry about us shutting down the servers: it won't happen. We made an arrangement and technically, for as long as the server company we're with is in business, the servers will stay up.

So while we wait and see how the game will fare on Mac, Linux and eventually console, I invite everyone to check out the tournament hosted by Derpylz. The matches will be streamed on Twitch and then uploaded to youtube. We can't wait to see which team will win! Link to the steam discussion: http://steamcommunity.com/app/262750/discussions/0/598198356164454798/

A big thank you to our players. We're so glad that there are still people playing the game one year after launch, many of whom were there from the start. We're lucky to have you on board with us!

Let me know if you have any question regarding the future of GoD Factory!
We seriously need more alexandrite in our games.

derpylz

• View Profile
Re: Happy anniversary to GoD Factory: Wingmen!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 02:38:43 pm »
Happy anniversary to GoD Factory: Wingmen and congratulations to you guys at Nine Dots Studio! I want to take this opportunity to thank you for this incredible game.

From the very first time I saw this game on the second kickstarter attempt and when I first played it during the beta, I knew that I would have a great time with it. What I did not anticipate back then was that GoD Factory would become my absolute favourite game of all time, this might sound exagerated, but it's really true. I had no clue that I would spend over 300 hours, playing far over 600 matches and that these numbers would keep on growing even after a whole year.

With GoD Factory: Wingmen you created a game that comes really close to what I would consider to be the ideal competitive action game. It's incredibly fast paced, there are no down times in a match and matches can be really close, oftentimes they are decided in the very last seconds. It's not rare that I lean back after an exciting and close match, to notice, that my heart was beating at over 120 beats per minute (and I'm a fit, athletic person, so this actually means something :P ). The game encourages team play and rewards it like only a few other games I have played. A lone wolf will never achieve anything in this game. You feel part of a team, but not in a way that makes you feel useless. Every player is crucial and plays a huge role. Finally, as far as I remember, there is no other game that makes me want to win so hard as GoD Factory: Wingmen. I'm almost a bit scared about how angry I get when I loose and how a win makes me feel like I conquered the world. THIS is how a competitive game is supposed to feel!

Another big thing for me is the community of this game. By interacting with us players so much, always letting us know how the situation is going and always taking the opportunity to play with us, you planted a seed that grew into a not very big but incredibly fruitful community. I've never seen another competitive game, where people are this nice to each other between the matches, providing their comrades with tips and tricks on how to become a better pilot (oh, that's the name of my guide :P ) and just being welcoming. The GoD Factory community is a happy place, one could think the people there are unicorns, that eat butterflies and poop rainbows.

It is for these facts that I invested so much of my time into this game, playing, contributing in the community and providing the german translation for the game. It wasn't mainly because I wanted to keep the game alive, because I had spend money on it and I wanted something in return. It was because this game, its community and its developers have a place in my heart and it just feels natural to do my best to give something back.

Therefore, I thank you again for the fantastic job you did. And I'm looking forward on what the future will bring. I'm certain that this won't be the first and last anniversary that we will celebrate and it will definitly not be the last that we will here from this game.

It's been an incredible ride, I'm grateful that I could take it with you and I'm excited for the next round!

derPylz

Gheeyom

• CEO/Founder/Game Designer
  • Global Moderator
  • CEO/Founder of Nine Dots Studio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 02:45:46 pm »
I think I'll print your contribution and stick it to the wall in front of my desk XD
We seriously need more alexandrite in our games.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 04:57:17 pm »
That's a dust in my eye, and it's raining... I said it's raining OK!