November 18, 2017, 08:57:53 am

Author Topic: Suggestion - Custom Difficulty Modes  (Read 2006 times)

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
Suggestion - Custom Difficulty Modes
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:54:32 pm »
Summary:
It would be awesome if players could modify a variety of game mechanics prior to starting a game, separate from default difficulty levels. This would allow players maximum flexibility in how they engage with the game and allow them to determine their own preferences. To me, some of the best games allow the player to decide, within reason, how they want to engage with the game world. They do this without compromising the original premise of the game or its integrity. It's still the same game but it does not tell the player, "no you can't do that this way because <reasons>."

More on this suggestion here.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion - Custom Difficulty Modes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:10:13 am »
Summary:
It would be awesome if players could modify a variety of game mechanics prior to starting a game, separate from default difficulty levels. This would allow players maximum flexibility in how they engage with the game and allow them to determine their own preferences. To me, some of the best games allow the player to decide, within reason, how they want to engage with the game world. They do this without compromising the original premise of the game or its integrity. It's still the same game but it does not tell the player, "no you can't do that this way because <reasons>."

More on this suggestion here.

We definitely want an hardcore mode, but we still need to decide the details of the regular mode first :P

Keep those ideas coming, brainstorming can always lead to interesting results.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:19:25 pm by Keos »

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 11:35:16 am »
Agreed, default modes come first. It's difficult for me to come up with any suggestions for that though since I don't know what will be available or what you'd have in mind to differentiate the difficulty modes other than the usual changes to AI combat. As mentioned elsewhere, I just hope as combat difficulty increases there's an emphasis placed upon enhancing AI combat routines rather than doubling their HP and defense rating.

I'd be happy to rough draft a list of variables to be taken into account here to be sifted through. If nothing else it could just provide a concept of an approach to the AI combat variation.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 03:22:02 pm »
Agreed, default modes come first. It's difficult for me to come up with any suggestions for that though since I don't know what will be available or what you'd have in mind to differentiate the difficulty modes other than the usual changes to AI combat. As mentioned elsewhere, I just hope as combat difficulty increases there's an emphasis placed upon enhancing AI combat routines rather than doubling their HP and defense rating.

I'd be happy to rough draft a list of variables to be taken into account here to be sifted through. If nothing else it could just provide a concept of an approach to the AI combat variation.

You are more than welcome to post suggestions regarding pretty much every thing. It's always nice to see ideas from others and sometimes it ends up being stuff that we didn't thought at first and could be interesting to put in the game. I'm not the programmer working on the AI, but I can definitely relay him ideas you guys can come up with.

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »
I have updated the document I originally linked with "AI Difficulty." That is what I have come up with for now. Feel free to expand upon any of that in the document or here.

I know some of it is very complicated on the programming side so I don't expect to see it all included by any means. Just ideas to be hand picked when and if there's time and budget available to do it.

Hallen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:46:18 pm »
A 'pick and choose' system of difficulty is always fun to play around with. Games like Bastion and Risk of Rain had good custom difficulty systems that allowed the player to create a difficulty setting from the various options that they felt was adequate. I would highly recommend allowing for such a system instead of, or in conjunction with the standard set difficulty formate (eg Casual, Hard, Nightmare).

Example of 'pick and choose' difficulty options:
Easier Difficulty: Enemies drop more loot, Enemies damage is reduced by 25%, Second wind:once a day when knocked out the player gets back up with 50% health/endurance.
Harder Difficulty: More enemy spawns, Enemies hit 1.5x harder, Enemy Stat buff, Enemies can alert others in the area (by shouting, using a whistle, for example), Player max health/endurance is lowered by 25%, Realism mode requiring the player to eat/drink, sleep, and tend to their wounds appropriately, No fast travel (if that was even something you would add), An increase in the cost of purchasing gear from vendors, Realistic weight limitations (none of the 'carry around 10 kitchen sinks').
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:38:00 pm by Hallen »