November 18, 2017, 08:48:53 am

Author Topic: Aventurer tools  (Read 2909 times)

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Aventurer tools
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:43:23 am »
Hey guys, what kind of item/tools you would like to have in Outward to help your every day as an adventurer.

For my part I would like to have:

Spyglass
To be able to spot enemies afar to guess right away if I have a chance against them or if it would be better for me to avoid them

Portable cooking pot
To cook some meal or boil water.

Can't wait to see what you guys think of :)

Zonto3

• View Profile
Re: Aventurer tools
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:17:16 am »
A blank map that I could fill in and mark spots that our good camping spots or a bandits hide out with the map changing from sizes 5 miles around to 20 miles around

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:06:51 am »
A blank map that I could fill in and mark spots that our good camping spots or a bandits hide out with the map changing from sizes 5 miles around to 20 miles around

I really like the idea of an annotatable map. Not knowing a new area at first is definitely interesting. It could probably be interesting to be able to share those annotations with other players.

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:35:04 pm »
Spyglass
To be able to spot enemies afar to guess right away if I have a chance against them or if it would be better for me to avoid them

I would like to append a suggestion to your spyglass. I have done so here. Additionally, you can view the other suggestions I have been working on.

I have enabled comments so that anyone may chime in as they see fit or make suggested edits directly in the document.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:36:59 pm by Sern »

Hallen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:27:55 pm »
Grappling hook/rope. This could be used to scale towers or cliffs that are otherwise impassable, or if a bridge is destroyed you could latch the hook on the far side, tie off the rope and shimmy across.

Waterskin, for carrying an amount of liquid (such as drinkable water).

Lantern, a small light source, possibly make it clip on to a backpack for hands free use.

Whetstone/sharpening blocks/oils, for increasing the strength/damage of certain weapons for a specified duration.

Walking stick, make travel through snow or sand easier, or add a minor increase to base movement speed

Robbers' Kit, better lockpicks, boost to lockpicking doors/containers/windows
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:07:29 am by Hallen »

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 02:02:03 pm »
We have already some plans for most of what you mentioned. Aka, the lantern (which is already in the game), some backpacks have a clip for a lantern to be attached as well. Way to have water (waterskin, bottles, etc). Weapons will need to be kept in good condition, so sharpening them will be important. You should be able to travel with a little portable anvil to keep them at an acceptable condition. For full efficiency, you will have to go to a blacksmith.

I like the idea of walking stick :)

Hallen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 07:13:07 am »
Every adventurer needs a trusty walking stick! Especially for those long journeys on foot :P

Playable Musical Instruments, possibly used to earn currancy or exchange your musical talents for a room at an inn. Could be used as a way to pass the time between adventuring, particularly if you're in the middle of nowhere, sitting around a campfire, with only a flute or lute for company.

Fishing Spear, or Rod(or both?), used for catching fish from ponds, lakes, oceans etc. A way to forage cheaply (depending on the bait used), and the fish itself would have to be prepared properly. Perhaps the quality of preperation and cooking could determine how much health/hunger is restored.

Skinning Knife, used to skin dead animals for their hides, which could be used to create other items or sold for currancy. It would probably require maintaning to keep sharp, and you could have a tiered system of knives made from different materials for both the blade and rip, or have modifications for it to increase yield, speed, or durability.

Alchemy Set, used to create basic medicine such as poultices for wounds that could restore health over time or tonics to reduce the length of a disease or poison, as well as basic poisons for hunting or fighting.

Smoking Pipe, used to add an extra dimension of 'comfy', as well as possibly administering opiates or other various drugs that might have some short term conditional effect such as increasing strength while losing dexterity, for example.

Monster Bestiary, An annotatable book used to keep track of the types of monsters' you have encountered, discovered weaknesses, behaviours, and historical information. Some information could be updated automatically in the book, while some information would need to be written in by the player. There could also be conflicting information or false information that the player can correct with annotation based on their observations of the monster.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:50:38 am by Hallen »

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 11:29:03 am »
Monster Bestiary, An annotatable book used to keep track of the types of monsters' you have encountered, discovered weaknesses, behaviours, and historical information. Some information could be updated automatically in the book, while some information would need to be written in by the player. There could also be conflicting information or false information that the player can correct with annotation based on their observations of the monster.

I particularly like this idea. We also have brainstormed something similar with an annotable map. You would mark yourself where you find a specific ore for instance. Then you could share it to other players when joining their world (or them yours). This is not confirmed yet, but this is something I would really like to do, and once we have the map annotation system, we could probably re-use the same system for a monster book too.

Furie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 01:27:42 pm »
I imagine a map opening in real time with the world still going on around you. Putting the map away would take a second or so, making you a bit more vulnerable when using it. The map opens over the screen but transparent so you can still see things around you and navigate. You'd normally have to figure out where you are by landmarks but, combining the map with a compass would place an icon on the map that lets you see where you are. However, the compass is delicate equipment, extending the time it takes to put away the map and be able to act.
I really like the idea of an annotatable map. Not knowing a new area at first is definitely interesting. It could probably be interesting to be able to share those annotations with other players.
Also like this idea. The thought of selling those annotations to a cartography guild is pretty cool, and that guild being a place you can buy some info about an area (say X gold for X new annotations) to balance it all out.

Bandages, splints, and poultices. Bandages will close open wounds, stopping bleeding and allowing a wound to heal. Adding a poultice (herbs, moss, and a little vinegar) will increase the speed of healing. Perhaps a special herbalist's pouch could be added to keep the items to make poultices with. Finally splints will be needed to help set broken bones and could be made from a bandage and straight wood.

A tinder box for lighting fires and torches without any preexisting fire to work with. This might have durability tied solely to how wet it gets, with higher quality ones able to withstand more frequent dips in water or trips through damp environments.

Snares to catch small animals with, or at least a plan to make your own provided you have a knife and are out where there's loose wood lying around. A snare should be a permanent object in the game, placed one to a hunting spot, and having a chance to hold an animal when the player returns to it. However, if there's a limit on player placed objects, perhaps a line of voice acting complaining about poachers or the local lord's hunters would be a good way to handware a disappearing snare.

Skinning Knife, used to skin dead animals for their hides, which could be used to create other items or sold for currancy. It would probably require maintaning to keep sharp, and you could have a tiered system of knives made from different materials for both the blade and rip, or have modifications for it to increase yield, speed, or durability.
I'll also add another vote towards skinning tools, with the caveat that a lesser quality skin could be taken with a blade not really suited to the job. Add in things like eyes and teeth being more easily recoverable with a special set of tools and it makes it worth upgrading when you can but not essential.

Wardrobe plans. Bit of a weird one this. Basically an item that lets you plan your outfit and equipment for the weather, so entering a desert would see you put on your desert outfit while entering a snowy environment would see you layering up against the cold. This would automate things when swapping environments but still have the player planning what they'd do and having to change those plans occasionally when they find items like snowshoes to move faster in snow or headscarves to keep the effects of heatstroke down. This would allow different characters to keep a plan ready, while others simply react to the current situation, allowing for different kinds of survival.

Alphonssama

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 05:41:07 am »

I particularly like this idea. We also have brainstormed something similar with an annotable map. You would mark yourself where you find a specific ore for instance. Then you could share it to other players when joining their world (or them yours). This is not confirmed yet, but this is something I would really like to do, and once we have the map annotation system, we could probably re-use the same system for a monster book too.
i personally think that you should not have an easy trade system for information like monsterweaknesses or maps
otherwise there would be the one player that already discovered everything and a new player simply copys it. It takes the special kind of fun (and challenge) out of the game.
a feature where you look at someone elses map ... okay
if you have pen&paper to draw your own map i think it would be fair to copy a certain scribble of it, but if you are planing on seeing a map of a whole region it should be nothing lying around. I would love to see a scenario where people meet in Guildhalls or a Libary just to get a map and plan on where to go or show some treasure spots ... or why not plan your strategy for your battle on a whole table map ... that would be awesome ^^