September 24, 2017, 07:08:43 pm

Author Topic: Outward - Monster Concept Arts - Part 2  (Read 2880 times)

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Outward - Monster Concept Arts - Part 2
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:35:56 pm »
Time for some more monster concept arts! After all, there wonít only be 4 monsters in Outward!

If you remember well, in the previous post regarding monsters, they were quite different from classic creatures you could find in an RPG. This time, the monsters are a bit more familiar.

Liches are powerful magician that achieved immortality. To do so, they stored their soul into a phylactery (physical object). To kill a lich, his phylactery must be destroyed, otherwise, he would just regenerate itself over time.

Liches can also control a few to several lesser creatures. They could even summon shadow monsters, but those would only stay in Aurai for a short time as they are quite unstable. A way to stabilize their energy is to craft a magical mask and summon them into it. The mask would help keep them link to the real world.

Shadow liches are quite common in various fantasy world, but even with well-known creatures, we wanted to add a twist so they feel fresh.
I present you, the light lich!
Donít judge it by its look, it might not be as friendly as you think it is.

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Outward - Monster Concept Arts - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:26 pm »
More awesome concept art!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the last two images but the first two are my favorite. This is probably due to the color scheme.

P.S. - The darker magics are definitely something I enjoy playing with when given the opportunity. Especially anything to do with summoning. Who doesn't like to control some minions now and then?

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:03:10 am »
More awesome concept art!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the last two images but the first two are my favorite. This is probably due to the color scheme.

P.S. - The darker magics are definitely something I enjoy playing with when given the opportunity. Especially anything to do with summoning. Who doesn't like to control some minions now and then?

Haha, I personally vouch for the two last, as I never really liked necromantic stuff.

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:18:00 am »
And this is why diversity in a game is so important. Different people gravitate towards different things.