November 18, 2017, 08:49:18 am

Author Topic: Ideas and Suggestions  (Read 4865 times)

Captain Frosty

• View Profile
Ideas and Suggestions
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:26:13 pm »
I noticed there wasn't a topic for ideas and suggestion other than region ideas, so I took it upon myself to post one!

Here are some of my ideas:

-To emphasize the fact that the player is just an average hero, have situations in which he does not hold priority over NPCs. Example: Player has to wait behind NPCs in line in stores and marketplaces, and sometimes the shopkeeper will run out of items before the player gets to them.

-NPCs should have their own sort of daily routines. Not like they do the same thing over and over again every day, or each NPC should do specific things, but NPCs should usually go home at night, get up in the morning, eat at the pub around noon and possibly drink there at night, go to work, etc. Other than that, they can just have the average wander routine.

-NPCs shouldn't just wander silently or only talk to the player, you should see interactions between them. Talking about recent incidents that may have something to do with that quest the player just completed (or didn't), or maybe just some random snatches of dialog that don't have anything to do with the player at all. Perhaps if an NPC or even a player from another faction shows up, they might have something not so civil to say.

-NPCs should have their own inventories. Say an NPC just bought the last [insert rare item here] from a shopkeeper that a player really wanted. That player could follow that NPC and then haggle for, pickpocket (if that will be in this game), or kill them for that item if they feel that evil.

-From that last one, players should be able to haggle for items. Between shopkeepers, NPCs, or even other players, I think it would be cool if you could try to bargain for items you want.

-NPCs shouldn't just do the typical fight or flight when they see another player or NPC being attacked. They could go get a guard or whatever the police force is, or perhaps try to break it up if it's between 2 NPCs.

New as of 6/8/15:

-Players should have the ability to hide weapons/items in their clothes. The more hidden they are, the less likely bandits or guards/police are to find them when searching you, but it will take longer to take them out. Also, only small weapons or items can be hidden.

-If there is to be a bounty/fame/notoriety system in Outward, then have them associated to how the player looks. If a player does bad things while wearing a black hood, red cape, and silver sword, guards will go after anyone wearing those items. If that same player walks into a village with different armor, then guards will ignore them. Allow players to gain fame or notoriety for doing good or bad things, which makes NPCs react differently to the player, like guards trying to apprehend them, NPCs giving gifts or surrendering easier, or just NPCs mentioning good or bad players or events.

New as of 6/9/15:

-From Alienlover- The ability to do a quest while someone else is doing it (Adventurer or even NPC). Also, find quests from pub chatter, bulletin boards, etc.

That's all for now, best of luck in your endeavors, NineDots! You guys deserve way more for the awesome games you're making!

P.S. I'm currently trying to revive GoD Factory: Wingmen in my Steam group Fruit of the Tomb, but don't know enough people who play GoD to bring it back. Anybody reading this post, if you play or know anyone who plays GoD, check out my group and help us try to bring it back!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:21:18 pm by Captain Frosty »

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:14:07 am »
Excellent initiative! I really like those ideas.

Alienlover97

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:01:31 pm »
Hey man I love all of your ideas I hope they are implemented. I was just wondering tho, do you think it will be possible for you to hear about a quest (via a bulletin board, pub chatter, rumors, ect) and go do it but someone else is already there? Like an assassin going to kill someone but when you get there someone else is trying to do it too. It would be interesting if you could fight for that kill or even team up and form a party, splitting the reward 50/50. Maybe even getting a permanent companion afterwards because you worked well with them? Would be awesome if you hear about a buried treasure and once you get there you find someone else looking for it. Would be interesting to (like you said) haggle or fight for that item, or team up because you have a sensory spell and that guy only had a shovel lol! Idk what do you think? Also thanks for starting this thread Captain Frosty I've been wanting too myself but didn't know how to start it.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 03:12:51 pm »
Since we were already planed to have quests that resume with our without you, finding "hero/adventurer" NPCs could be a possibility. We are still merely exploring the possibilities, I can't promise that everything that is mentioned will be implemented into the game, but brainstorming always help see new possibilities.

Captain Frosty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:17:34 pm »
No problem Alienlover :D

Alienlover97

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:17:32 pm »
Hey everyone I just had a cool idea. How about we start posting ideas for any unique companions/followers you can meet and team up with throughout the game? Also Keos or any other devs on this forum, are you going to be able to have followers in the single player/multipayer campaigns? I really hope so. In the event we do get that, let me pitch the first idea: A wandering mercenary trying to find the remnants of his lost tribe that was pilfered by bandits. He could even have a unique story quest where if you help him find those remnants, he is more friendly to you and you learn more of his back story. Maybe he starts off cold towards the player at first but feels you could help him, and if you do the quest he sees you as a true friend, maybe even the only friend he has ever had. Lol I don't wanna get too deep with this but I'd love to see other people's oc's  (original characters). Also I hope you can have followers or else I'll look pretty stupid posting this LOL! Just thought it would be a cool idea, I could even start a new thread dedicated to it if I could get a green light on it.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 08:35:38 am »
We haven't decided yet all the things that are going to be in the game. We are still gathering ideas. Again, I can't promise that everything said on this Forums will be in the game in the end, or in the exact way it was pitched, but we never now!

veritanuda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:35 am »
Can we make sure that in an MMP mode that we make sure there are areas that are seperate for PVP versus everyon else who want to emmerse into the role playing aspect more.

It should not be overlooked as it can massively change the dynamic for the average user as opposed the hard core gamer.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:51:13 am »
Can we make sure that in an MMP mode that we make sure there are areas that are seperate for PVP versus everyon else who want to emmerse into the role playing aspect more.

It should not be overlooked as it can massively change the dynamic for the average user as opposed the hard core gamer.

There is currently no plan for PvP at this moment. Also, Outward isn't going to be a MMO, it is either solo or coop. You will go to the world of others/your friends, something like Dark Souls. You would go to an inn, find a job board and see people that requires help. You will also be able to post a request there for people to join you. The final amount of players in the same world has not been decided yet, but we are looking to something like 4.

Hope this reassure you :)

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 05:52:27 pm »
The final amount of players in the same world has not been decided yet, but we are looking to something like 4.

Four would be an ideal number I think, if viable.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:19:23 am »
The final amount of players in the same world has not been decided yet, but we are looking to something like 4.

Four would be an ideal number I think, if viable.

Four is also kind of the max amount of players you can play in splitscreen and keep a decent size xD

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:08 am »
True. I recall your team being a big fan of split screen from the KS page. Personally I'm neutral on the matter, probably because I don't own a console and just stick to PC games. I did play a few split screen games way back when though. I think it was the platform prior to the n64 which was my first. I can see the appeal.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 03:23:06 pm »
True. I recall your team being a big fan of split screen from the KS page. Personally I'm neutral on the matter, probably because I don't own a console and just stick to PC games. I did play a few split screen games way back when though. I think it was the platform prior to the n64 which was my first. I can see the appeal.

The beautiful thing about splitscreen is that we will make it enable on PC as well :P

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 12:46:48 pm »
The beautiful thing about splitscreen is that we will make it enable on PC as well :P

Oh, now that will be interesting. Is this something that will be changed in the options menu similar to resolution changes or is this something that will be able to be toggled using a keybind? Also will the split screen be resizable in any way? Let's say I prefer to see more of my camera and have someone I'm playing with be slightly smaller or vice versa.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 08:45:49 am »

Oh, now that will be interesting. Is this something that will be changed in the options menu similar to resolution changes or is this something that will be able to be toggled using a keybind? Also will the split screen be resizable in any way? Let's say I prefer to see more of my camera and have someone I'm playing with be slightly smaller or vice versa.

We were also planning to have a Picture in Picture feature that would allow you to have a little screen (resizable) inside your main screen. This would allow you to see what your coop partner(s) would see, even if you are playing online. We were already making it resizable and movable around the screen, so we could most likely copy that feature to normal splitscreen.