September 24, 2017, 07:08:27 pm

Author Topic: Region Ideas  (Read 5577 times)

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Region Ideas
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 08:47:36 am »
I've always like this idea of exploring Bronze Age Europe, specifically England. So a mix of salt marshes and arable lands with deep forests and valleys. If you look at any litrature on the subject you can see how wild and raw it all looked.

Mentioned it to our lead artist :)

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 08:42:20 pm »
+1 for the jungle.

It's one of my most favored environments to see in a game. This is mainly because jungles provide some of the most diverse life possible, almost to the point of being stifling. Both plant, animal, and insect life per square meter is insane. The constant cycle of life decomposing on the jungle floor providing the fuel for renewal and massive plant growth. So many deadly creatures in the jungle. While I've not extensively studied the jungle by any means I would predict this is mainly due to the fact there are so many competing organisms in such a proximity fighting over resources that only the toughest, most aggressive, or most deadly will survive natural selection. One might think that the jungle has so many resources, why would anything need to fight or compete for them? But because the jungle has so many resources it can support large populations and therefore this balances out the abundance of resources so that there's still plenty of room for resource competition.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 09:06:22 am »
+1 for the jungle.

It's one of my most favored environments to see in a game. This is mainly because jungles provide some of the most diverse life possible, almost to the point of being stifling. Both plant, animal, and insect life per square meter is insane. The constant cycle of life decomposing on the jungle floor providing the fuel for renewal and massive plant growth. So many deadly creatures in the jungle. While I've not extensively studied the jungle by any means I would predict this is mainly due to the fact there are so many competing organisms in such a proximity fighting over resources that only the toughest, most aggressive, or most deadly will survive natural selection. One might think that the jungle has so many resources, why would anything need to fight or compete for them? But because the jungle has so many resources it can support large populations and therefore this balances out the abundance of resources so that there's still plenty of room for resource competition.

I'm not an expert either, but if I remember well enough, jungles have tons of micro eco-systems that help bio diversity.

derpylz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 08:01:33 am »
+1 for the jungle.

Jungles, like tropical rainforests are actually very hostile environments for every living thing. For plants a jungle or rainforest is very inhospitable. Very high temperatures and strong precipitation that constantly washes out all nutrients from the soil and an extreme competition for light require for some of the most interesting evolutionary adaptations that we see on this planet. Family members of grasses which in temperate zones just grow to a few centimeters in height, reach heights up to 30 meters and grow 3cm per hour! Plants that can't grow that high find other methods to survive, like parasiting other plants, fungi or even animals. Other grow in symbiosis with ants, which provide the neccesary nutrients in exchange for a secure and dry room inside the plant to build their state. Some even evolved to carnivorous plants.
It is the extreme hostility of the environment that led to a diversity like that.

Glad you liked the jungle idea :)

Furie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 02:17:07 pm »
Swamp land and marshes filled with areas that, if waded across rather than gone around, slow you down. These areas would be damp, making it recovering from illness slower than normal added increasing the chance of infection to unbandaged wounds. Slow water damage would be done to items that are sensitive to water (parchments, tinderboxes, powdered herbs, even metal armours and weapons) and faster water damage done when wading. Gases fill the air, some of them poisonous, and others causing hallucinations (that may lead a player to see an innocent trader as an enemy attacking them - the hallucination shatters and reality is shown when health hits 0 on either character or when the gas wears off). Those who live amongst the swamps would have a knowledge of herbs that is second only to their fear of the other things that live (or don't) alongside them. Mix in signs of ancient civilisation reclaimed by the swamps, villages set up by those few who manage to live alongside the harsh environment, worshippers who come to ancient temples in search of lost gods, those who take advantage of such worship, and you've got something pretty interesting.

Shifting desert sands. A seemingly basic desert area, where the continual movement of the winds can rewrite the entire area. Split into different sections, the others would reform while you were away from them. Oases would open up and be hidden again. Caves could be uncovered and buried once more. Even the paths through the area might be closed off or opened again. Alongside those changing areas we'd have sandstorms that randomly go through the area, affecting visibility, making it easy to get lost in this place without mapping as you go. Mirages might appear in some spots, leading you off the beaten path towards camps that don't exist or wandering traders who aren't really there (all mirages should be actual things that can appear in the area, and less should appear if the character is well hydrated and protected from the sun). Nomad groups would wander the area, setting up camps and scouting the ever shifting sands. Some will be hunters, others traders, and others still enemies of all they find.

The desert has water in certain places, from oases to certain plants, and the character must take advantage of those water sources to stay hydrated as the heat of the day drains them faster than elsewhere. There are plenty of plants in the desert but they have a different herbology to regular lands, and it must be learned anew. The creatures here are tougher, having adapted to the harsher climate, while characters will be better suited by wearing less armour, making this place a challenging area to travel through.

The land of dreams. Brought here by an artifact, the character sees the sleeping world. A recognisable city is morphed by the collected dreams of its populace to include memories of the past and fantasies of what might be. Prayers and hopes walk the streets alongside shadows of those who are awake, but it is the sleepers who inhabit this world fully. The populace are shown as the true selves they hide behind their waking masks, some of them as innocent as babes while others are true monsters. Here mental fortitude becomes physical strength, with mages becoming hulking warriors, while those who rely on physicality are weaker than they've ever been. But it is in this world that a man can unlock the key to another's mind, making a king sympathetic to the pleas of a pauper, or plucking a secret from the most closed lipped of maidens. There are those who would seek dominion over this power, and others who would protect it, both of which will be interested in any intruders to the dreamscape.

Gheeyom

• CEO/Founder/Game Designer
  • Global Moderator
  • CEO/Founder of Nine Dots Studio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 08:29:14 am »
I really like the idea of land of dreams. I sadly don't think it could make it into the game given how far along we are now, but it's still a nice idea to explore and might open up to other concepts for future quests and such :)
We seriously need more alexandrite in our games.